Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Hymn of the Month: How deep the Father's love for us.

How deep the Father's love for us,
    How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
   To make a wretch His treasure.

How great the pain of searing loss,
   The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One,
   Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the Man upon a cross,
   My sin upon His shoulders.
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice
   Call out among the scoffers.

It was my sin that held Him there
   Until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life.
   I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything,
   No gifts, no power, no wisdom.
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
   His death and resurrection.

Why should I gain from His reward?
   I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart:
   His wounds have paid my ransom.


        This song, written by Stuart Townend about 1995, first came to my attention in worship in 2004, about the same time that Mel Gibson's movie The Passion of the Christ, was
still playing in theatres. Every stanza is packed with intense scriptural references but verse three hit me the hardest: "Behold the Man upon a cross, My sin upon His shoulders." I love the theme of Christ as the Divine Substitute, and Townend's picture was eloquent.
        Stuart Townend was born in West Yorkshire in 1963, the youngest of four children, son of a Church of England vicar. His website www.stuarttownend.co.uk/bio tells us that he began playing the piano at the age of seven and teaching himself the guitar as a teenager. "At the age of 13 he made his Christian commitment. Then at 18 he moved to Brighton to study literature at the University of Sussex. It is here he met Caroline, whom he married in 1988, and they now have three children: Joseph, Emma, and Eden. Stuart attends and regularly leads worship at the Church of Christ the King in Brighton...But it is as a songwriter that Stuart has had the greatest impact on the worldwide church, and it is this that is closest to his heart. 'It is so important that our lives are built not on our feelings or circumstances, but on the Word of God, and songs can really help us meditate on and retain truth.' "
        Other songs by Townend include In Christ Alone, The Power of the Cross, How Long?, You are my Anchor, and Beautiful Saviour.



No comments:

Post a Comment