Thursday, December 23, 2010

“Meditation in a Toolshed”

This is the exact title of an essay by C.S.Lewis, and I often think of it during the Breaking of Bread. He says, “I was standing today in the dark toolshed. The sun was shining outside and through the crack at the top of the door there came a sunbeam. From where I stood that beam of light, with the specks of dust floating in it, was the most striking thing in the place. Everything else was almost pitch-black. I was seeing the beam, not seeing things by it.”

“Then I moved, so that the beam fell on my eyes. Instantly the whole previous picture vanished. I saw no toolshed, and (above all) no beam. Instead I saw, framed in the irregular cranny at the top of the door, green leaves moving on the branches of a tree outside and beyond that, 90 odd million miles away, the sun. Looking along the beam and looking at the beam are very different experiences.”

So, how does this relate to a worship service at Shoreacres Bible Chapel? As we enter the chapel on a Sunday morning, we’re probably greeting one another, commenting on the weather, noticing the warmth or coolness of the auditorium, the comfort of the pews, even the bread and wine on the table at the front. In a sense, this is looking at the beam.

Then the service begins and we notice who gives out a hymn, reads a scripture or prays. Still looking at the beam. Someone may comment on a hymn or a hymn-writer or even the method of our remembrance. Still looking at the beam. Going deeper, someone may show us typology or prophetic fulfillment or the wonders we can expect to enter someday. Still looking.

But what we really want to see is the Son. Isaiah saw Him: “In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord!” Isa.6:1 (also John 12:41). Peter, James and John saw Him on that mountain: “This is My Son, whom I love.” Mark 9:7. Stephen saw Him: He “looked up to heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.” Acts 7:55. John saw Him again, on Patmos: “I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever.” Rev.1:18.

So there is a hope every time we come to a Breaking of Bread or any worship, expressed in a slight paraphrase of what those Greeks said to Philip long ago, “Lord, we would like to see Jesus!” John 12:21.

 



Marazion from Saint Michael's Mount, south coast of England.


No comments:

Post a Comment