Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The Glory of God

        The old gentleman walked shakily onto the stage, placed one hand on the grand piano to steady himself, then waited for his music to begin. As he scanned the expectant audience, his chest swelled and this great declaration filled the sanctuary:--

Down from His glory,
Ever living story,
My God and Savior came,
And Jesus was His Name.
Born in a manger,
To His own a stranger,
A Man of sorrows, tears and agony.

        The hymn-writer, William Booth-Clibborn, expressed the glory of Christ well. And Dick Kuieck, our soloist, and we listeners, could hardly contain ourselves in the refrain,

O how I love Him! How I adore Him!
My breath, my sunshine, my all in all.
The great Creator became my Savior,
And all God's fullness dwelleth in Him.

The worship continued:--

2. What condescension,
Bringing us redemption;
That in the dead of night,
Not one faint hope in sight,
God, gracious, tender,
Laid aside His splendor,
Stooping to woo, to win, to save my soul.

3. Without reluctance,
Flesh and blood His substance,
He took the form of man,
Revealed the hidden plan,
O glorious myst'ry
Sacrifice of Calv'ry,
And now I know Thou art the great "I AM".

        When I started this article, I was enjoying thoughts of the glory of Christ. In particular, John says in 12:41, "Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus' glory and spoke about him." When did Isaiah see the glory of Jesus---specifically Jesus? Answer: Isaiah 6:1, a verse we frequently hear quoted in worship:

        In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne; and the train of his robe filled the temple.
        And he goes on in verse 5 with, My eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty.

        This is Jesus, none other! Yes, God, gracious, tender, did lay aside His splendor. And yes! He is the great "I AM"!

No comments:

Post a Comment