Wednesday, February 14, 2024

“Oh, My Soul!”


              Some years ago, my wife and I were “at sea” on an ocean cruise, when the Directors organized what was facetiously but erroneously called a “tiny talent” time. An entertainment afternoon was set aside and any of the passengers with suitable skills were invited to perform. The musicians, singers, comedians and even magicians were outstanding.

              But then a lady, probably in her fifties, took the stage and started to quote poetry. We weren’t paying close attention to the words at first, but then she shifted to a more rousing, martial type of beat and people started standing up to keep time with her actions.

              She encouraged this as she moved to her last poem, with the audience still at one with her. I recognized the poem, I knew where the words led, and I sat my wife and myself down again. The crowd marched on straight to the end: “I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul…I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul!”[1]

              How perverse! Did those people realize what they had said? Were there any Christians who had been dragged in as well? Did they catch the verse that says, “It matters not … how charged with punishments the scroll”? Joy and I were seated almost at the front so I hope the lady saw our protest.

              How desperately wrong can a person be? In a sense, our choices do decide our fate, but “unconquerable soul”? No way! She discounted the possibility of any true God, and she ignored everything Jesus has done for us. But there is punishment coming, and it does matter. The God Who made us will eventually require obedience and every soul will be conquered. The wise person foresees this and gets things fixed up with God before it’s to late. Two Bible verses answer the poem: “Submit yourselves, then, to God…Come near to God, and he will come near to you.”[2]

              How? “Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved.”[3]

 

 


 



[1] This poem is Invictus [“invincible”] by William Ernest Henley, written in 1875.

[2] James 4:7, 8.

[3] Acts 16:31

No comments:

Post a Comment