Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Figures of Speech Used in the Bible (5)

        The most important and the commonest figure of speech is metaphor. Once again, my Grade 11 textbook comes in handy: ―"A metaphor states that a person or a thing is some other person or thing. 'That man is like a fox' is a simile. 'That man is a fox' is a metaphor. The metaphor is a briefer, stronger, and more vivid figure than a simile. It has become so common in speech that many ordinary expressions, originally metaphorical, have lost their metaphorical meaning, such as 'she dropped her eyes', 'fertile words', a 'harrowing experience'."

        There are so many metaphors in the Bible that one hardly knows where to begin. Let‘s start with Christ, Himself—He‘s 'the bright Morning Star.' Rev.22:16. 'The Lord is my rock, my fortress…my shield.' Psa.18:2. 'The Lord is my light and my salvation.' Psa.27:1. And remember 'a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valley.' Song 2:1.

        David condemns the guilty in Psa.5:9, by saying, 'Their throat is an open grave.' In Psa.40:3, he states, 'the poison of vipers is on their lips.'

        The New Testament is full of metaphors as well: 'You are the salt of the earth.' Matt.5:13. 'You are the light of the world.' Matt.5:14. 'You are God‘s field, God‘s building.' Cor.3:9. 'I am the bread of life.' John 6:35. 'I am the gate for the sheep.' John 10:7. 'I am the way.' John 14:6.

        Jude gives a whole stream of metaphors: 'These men are…clouds without rain…autumn trees…wild waves of the sea…wandering stars. Jude 12,13

No comments:

Post a Comment